Teaching and Learning (T&L) is at the core of all that we do as teachers and as students. Student progress, through exciting and innovative pedagogy, is our aim. Our goal is to create active learners who flex all their learning muscles. We refer to Guy Claxton’s studies on Building Learning Power and the 4Rs: Resilience, Reciprocity, Reflection and Resourcefulness. We ensure opportunities to develop these areas which are embedded into all lessons.
Our T&L philosophy is encapsulated with the following:
- We believe in our individuality as a school where conforming to other pedagogical beliefs is a considered choice. As an international school we are able to decide what works best for SKIS and our students. We push a pedagogy that creates success of the highest order.
- We believe in the "Growth Mindset" concept which is developed through Building Learning Power and the 4Rs (Reciprocity, Resourcefulness, Resilience and Reflectiveness).
- We realise that students learn in different ways and therefore we cater to individual student needs, classroom activities, the transfer and acquisition of knowledge, skills and understanding in a variety of ways encompassing models such as Visual Audio Reading Kinaesthetic
- Challenge is represented as one of our core values. Expectations of student attainment are pitched at the highest conceivable level. Teachers should aim for low threshold and high ceiling lessons that allow all students to attain and progress.
- We assess performance and not potential and firmly believe with high levels of effort students can develop through the thresholds of learning from foundation, developing and secure to excellence regardless of age or context.
- Teachers who are passionate are more likely to generate students who are passionate and have agency over their learning and in turn love their school.
- We believe unequivocally that students of SKIS are tomorrow’s leaders. Therefore our learning community must demonstrate maturity beyond their years.
- We endeavour to engineer an atmosphere of holistic learning which will in turn lead to academic success.
- As leaders of tomorrow SKIPS believes that students have a right to be technologically literate and should be able to operate in a blended way with others, responsibly and efficiently.
- We strive to make our curriculum engaging and fun as research shows that engaged learners absorb and apply far more. Active learning takes place wherever appropriate within our classrooms.
- We want to create inquisitive learners and creative thinkers, who question the world and not just accept things for the way they are.
- We can achieve this through all of these elements having equal importance and their inter-connectivity.
We believe in the process of continual improvement and so actively reflect on our performance in the classroom through a comprehensive quality assurance programme.
- Learning walks
- Formal lesson observations
- Work scrutiny
- Planning checks
- Continuous Professional Development (CPD) training sessions